ICOM6003 Divergent Modernities
Last updated: 18 October 2012
Office hours Wednesday 14.00-14.45 Thursday 11.00-11.45
Tuesday 54/8033 (8B) 14.00
Thursday 58/1001 (LRA) 15.00
For the past 250 years Western scholars have
tried to fit China into a pattern they had devised to embrace all times and
places. This Historical Perspectives
part of Divergent Modernities examines their attempts to fit
· Before the Enlightenment
· Adam Smith
· John Stuart Mill
· Hegel and Marx
· Max Weber
· C20 scholarship—on Economic History & China:
· World History—David Landes
· The Great Divergence—Kenneth Pomeranz
· Malthus revisited
Some general references
Dawson (1967) The Chinese Chameleon: An Analysis of
European Conceptions of Chinese Civilization,
Martin Jones (2001) The Image of
· Roger Backhouse (2002) The Penguin History of Economics, Penguin.
· Jack Goody (2004) Capitalism and Modernity: The Great Debate, Polity Press.
Ferguson (2011) Civilization: The West
and the Rest,
· Angus Maddison (1999) Chinese Economic Performance in the Long Run, OECD. A Google Books search on word China and author Maddison will find the entire test.
The Liberty Classics website has online editions of many of the classic works. The library has paper copies but for searching the digital versions are better. The online Oxford Dictionary of National Biography is a good source for basic biographical information about British figures of the past.
Lecture notes & seminar topics—slides
I will add to the slides as we go along aiming to upload the latest ones before the relevant lecture. It is a good idea to print them in advance and annotate them during the lectures—not everything I say is on the slides!